14712 Posts in 2613 Topics - by 7960 Members - Latest Member: Sumthanbuub

Author Topic: Important Trading Suggestion  (Read 1809 times)

Party Messiah

• May 2012
  • 293 Posts
    • STEAM_0:0:19102625 STEAM_0:0:19102625
« December 26, 2012, 07:57:22 PM » #6361
Suggestion

Currently, trading between players is relatively simply, however that is only if both players are on the same server at the same time.

This suggestion will help... revolutionise the trading.

I am suggesting long-duration web-based trading.
One player will be able to initiate a trade with another player (consent from the other player is not necessary) and can add and remove items as they wish to the trade at any time. The other player will also be able to view the trade and add or remove their own items at any time. The trade could run for as long as both players like, and within the trading page a memo section could be placed, for both players to privately chat within the trade.

This would work much like in-server trading, but would be HTML based (which would mean the memo system would be much like PMing, but would be more aptly based and easily accessed while trading).
There would be two sides, one for each player, and instead of money bags being used, there could possibly be an allocated area for typing an exact amount (- this could possibly be adapted to being the amount in how many 10k bags would be given, so that numbers such as 13,425 are not entered).

As a result, any player at any time can trade with someone else, without having to access the server. The trade could be completed via the webpage using the coding of the items (considering inventories are already linked to the forums), and transfers would be done instantly, removing the items from one player's inventory and placing them in the other's.

This also allows people who do not have immediate access to Garry's Mod to trade. For example, if somebody's computer breaks they can use the website from a different computer without having to re-install Garry's Mod to make an important trade, or if somebody is out in town and they had a specified time to make a trade at, they could do it via smartphone.

If the idea of manually entered cash amounts is not negotiable and denied, I would suggest having a Cash Bag shop available from the forums, so that trades could be completed using those.

Thank you for reading, I will update this post further if I think of/remember any other information.
- Party Messiah
Party Messiah: What kind of Pokemon are you?
Knave: A lesbian.
Party Messiah: A lesbian is not a Pokemon.

The Doctor

• November 2012
  • 59 Posts
    • STEAM_0:1:19797118 STEAM_0:1:19797118
« December 26, 2012, 08:24:29 PM » #6362
The only problem I can find is possible duplication errors. In some games, you could trade on two different systems and dupe the items.

So let's take TF2's situation.

If you had the same items for trade in a TF2 trade and a Steam trade, and you hit trade now at the same time, the items would have duplicated themselves, making two copies of the same item. We'd have to prevent that.
Signatures are overrated

nonSENSE

• September 2011
  • 1365 Posts
    • STEAM_0:0:11953676 STEAM_0:0:11953676
« December 26, 2012, 08:28:31 PM » #6363
This is essentially what the market system is going to be if I ever get around to coding it (don't hold your breath, I will be still be busy for at least another 3 months).

To prevent duping, only items that are in the bank (a storage system that I intend to include in the next few weeks and that will replace the queue system) can be offered in market trades / auctions. Once they are offered in a trade, they will be locked (removed from the bank) and you will either receive them back (if the trade does not go through) or they will be sent to the other player.

Party Messiah

• May 2012
  • 293 Posts
    • STEAM_0:0:19102625 STEAM_0:0:19102625
« December 26, 2012, 08:28:41 PM » #6364
The only problem I can find is possible duplication errors. In some games, you could trade on two different systems and dupe the items.

So let's take TF2's situation.

If you had the same items for trade in a TF2 trade and a Steam trade, and you hit trade now at the same time, the items would have duplicated themselves, making two copies of the same item. We'd have to prevent that.

It could be implimented that when an objected is added to the web-based trade, it is temporarily disabled from being traded in the servers, and vice versa.
Party Messiah: What kind of Pokemon are you?
Knave: A lesbian.
Party Messiah: A lesbian is not a Pokemon.