14712 Posts in 2613 Topics - by 7960 Members - Latest Member: Sumthanbuub

Author Topic: Adding a new genre of items  (Read 1968 times)

MrFlashcat

• This user has no personal avatar.
  • February 2013
  • 9 Posts
    • STEAM_0:1:20953179 STEAM_0:1:20953179
« April 23, 2013, 05:10:33 PM » #7996
Moronyard's usage of item attributes remind me a lot of ARPGs like Diablo and Path of Exile, where weapons can have attributes to improve your character's gameplay. I like this system a lot and I always try to get near perfect items, but I'm experiencing one problem to trying to improve my items.

The chances of getting a good base item to start with are already slim, and with base item I mean any item with 3-4 open sockets which can be adjusted with jewels to someone's liking.

The odds of unboxing/finding an item with 3 open sockets is only 0.9% (less than unboxing a TF2 unusual hat), and the chance of unboxing an item with 4 open sockets is 0.001% according to the wiki.

If we then proceed to the luck it takes to get your hands on a good jewel with the maximum attribute range, for example a Magic Find jewel would need to be between 21% - 25% to be actually worthwhile investing into a 3-4 socket item, if you want to have actual good items like me.

Coming to the problem I'm experiencing, people tend to use all the good/perfect items they get their hands on themselves. I can't blame them, I prefer to keep the good stuff for myself too, why would I sell something that's extremely rare to come by for cash that I can get if I just play the game.

Well, hear me out on my solution/suggestion:
I assume that the entire concept of Jewels and Sockets is taken from Diablo (correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't played Diablo), I think it would be fitting to insert a certain concept of items from Path of Exile.
In Path of Exile players can get their hands on certain orbs which they can adjust their items with. For example, a Chaos Orb can be used to randomize all the attributes on a Rare item (Rare item in Path of Exile), and a Jeweler's Orb can be used to randomize the amount of sockets on an item.

I feel like items like these would fit in the Moronyard Servers perfectly. These items would give everyone the opportunity to try to invest in creating their own set of perfect items without trying to purchase them from other players that want to use them too. These items could be implemented in the loot table to get a specific drop rate, they could be obtainable when you open a chest, or they could even be put in the store at a set price so players can always access these items. It'll be only normal for these items to have a fairly high price in the store, so you still have to decide if you want to invest your money in solely taking a gamble on improving your item. For all you know you could turn your 2 socketed item into a 1 socketed item. But at least this gives players to opportunity to try so rather than rely on other people getting lucky finding a good item and then having to buy it from them.

Note that you can still buy it from people if you don't want to risk your hard earned money into something that you might not even get in the end. I feel like the addition of these items could open a whole new of getting better items.

If you feel like adding these items would be a good idea, we can still discuss what type of orbs/items there could be added and how they will be obtainable.

Thank you for your time

Capa_Carnage

• November 2012
  • 43 Posts
    • STEAM_0:1:28558978 STEAM_0:1:28558978
« April 23, 2013, 06:07:47 PM » #8001
The orbs would negate Magic on items. Magic gear would be useless. What's the point in having high Magic stats when you can just buy some orbs?

I like the current chances of finding hard-to-get stats/sockets. If everyone was able to use orbs there would be way too many amazing items in the wild. That would make all the time and effort many people spent putting together great sets of gear seem wasted. To me some of the most fun I have is the satisfaction of finally being able to put together a set of items with high values of the same stat I've been working on for a really long time. It just wouldn't be as fun without the challenge.
lolwut

MrFlashcat

• This user has no personal avatar.
  • February 2013
  • 9 Posts
    • STEAM_0:1:20953179 STEAM_0:1:20953179
« April 23, 2013, 07:04:02 PM » #8002
Orbs wouldn't really negate magic on items, these orbs are here to "reroll" your item sort to speak, with the chances of getting a 3 socketed item still being 0.9%, at least that's what I had in mind. You could increase the chances with Magic stats on items just like you would use Magic stats right now. It just annoys me how you can't really buy any high-end items from other people since everyone wants to use them theirselves.

Having high Magic stats would still be helpful, just buying orbs doesn't give you a guaranteed good item.