In this post I'll try to give some information about what kind of map we are looking for. As we have already mentioned, this map will be used in our upcoming gamemode, called Sanctuary.
What is Sanctuary about?
The gamemode is a 2D-sidescrolling shooter with NPC mobs. The players can only move left and right (using WASD) and aim using the mouse cursor. There will be lots of loot, weapons, monster level scaling and 4 different difficulty levels.
All players work as a team to clear as many waves of monsters (and bosses) as they can, by fighting off the hordes from within a Sanctuary; this is basically a safe-zone, protected by a simple barricade. The space outside of the Sanctuary is not safe (dark, full of rot and death) so the players are urged to stay behind the barricade at all times (unless there is an intermission between waves, where players can collect loot).
What kind of map is needed?
The map itself is extremely simple; since the camera position and the player's movement are fixed, the main walkway (which the NPCs will use to get to the barricade) is not complex. For testing and development, we use a very simple map with a straight path and clips to restrict the players movement. This is a screenshot of the current map (annotations are explained below):
This image should give you an idea of what we are looking for:
- This area, along with the background, is not accessible to the player and its main purpose is aesthetic.
- Since the main theme of the map is a dark apocalyptic environment, the foreground could feature props like burning oil-drums, abandoned vehicles, smoking rubble, etc.
- Props and scenery in the foreground should never obstruct the player's view!
- This is the path the players can actually walk on. It should be mostly straight, except for a little slope at the very beginning of the monster spawn (1-2x the height of a player) in order to prevent players from shooting straight at the mob spawn.
- This area is actually quite narrow, to prevent monsters or players to not be on the same Y axis (players can only aim up and down).
- The walkway is separated from the fore- and background through player clips.
- Just like the foreground, the background is purely cosmetic and not interactive.
- Fitting background scenes would be for example:
- A dark alley with tall buildings or chain-link fences
- Collapsed buildings, crashes vehicles, etc
4) The Sanctuary
- This is the barricade which should protect about 4-8 players inside.
- It is important to note that the sanctuary should be 1 level only (no stairs, ladders, etc)
- The area itself should be indicative of being a safe-zone; a collapsed building with the frontwall (in foreground) removed, or a fence spanning into the background would be examples
- The Sanctuary area ends to the left in a pit (drop into trigger-hurt)
- The main barricade prop will be positioned on the walkway and will be placed via Lua (no need to worry about that
This is the map we currently use for testing purposes; the spawnpoints for both monsters and players are perfectly aligned on the y-axis (requirement) as well as being limited by the 2 clips.
Click here to download the example map (.vmf)
If you wanna give it a go, feel free to do so! Good maps will be rewarded with exclusive items!
Thanks for reading!